Minor Eye Conditions
Minor Eye Conditions Service (MECS)
MECS provides assessment and treatment for people with recently occurring minor eye problems. It is an NHS service provided by accredited optometrists (also commonly called opticians).
MECS accredited optometrists will assess and treat the following:
- Red eye or eyelids
- Dry, gritty or uncomfortable eyes
- Eye irritation and inflammation
- A lot of recent discharge from the eye or watery eye
- Recently occurring flashes or floaters
- Painful eye
- Ingrowing lashes
- Recent and sudden loss of vision
- Foreign body in the eye
Who Is The Service For?
- All ages (under 16s need to be accompanied by an adult)
- No GP referral needed
Patient information leaflet: What is a Minor Eye Conditions Service (MECS)?